Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Wednesdays!

As I'm sure you've inferred from reading the blog, there are actually two parents taking care of Violet: mom and dad. I'm sneaking in this opportunity to share a little about my experience parenting little VPL.

Each Wednesday, Violet and I spend the day together. Although regular readers of this blog may think that Violet's life is all spazzing out and putting things in her mouth, there's actually a lot more going on....particularly when she's with her papa.

For example, here's a picture of Violet during this week's chess game. It may be hard to tell from this photo, but Violet is quite a strong player. Now keep in kind that I'm not one of those parents who thinks their daughter is the best at everything, and I do believe that she could use a lot more practice, particularly in the endgame, where she tends to just sit and drool, flailing her arms around and looking for the cat.

But rest assured that I don't fall for any of those psychological tactics. And although I'm not the kind to brag, I have beaten Violet in each and every one of the 76 games we've played so far. That's quite a winning streak, no? I assume the repeated defeats are building Violet's character.

After chess, Violet usually takes a nap and/or poops herself, and we have a diaper change. She'll then pick up a few blocks and put them down again. Then we have our regular Theories of Comparative Religion seminar.

Violet is young, but she is very wilful, and as she is a 21st Century child, she has a whole different way of looking at the world. We often have arguments over differeing interpretations of sacred texts, and sometimes both of us just end up on our backs on the floor crying and waving our hands. I usually have to be the mature one and resolve the whole thing and make us friends again, which makes sense since I'm the only one who can get up off my back by myself at this point.

As an example, here's a picture from today. As per our agreed-upon study outline, we're reviewing Chapter Six of Seyyed Hossein Nasr's excellent The Heart of Islam, "Divine and Human Justice." Inevitably, Violet and I just get into it, this time regarding methodologies of Islamic jurisprudence. As Amy will tell you, I make it a practice never to walk out of an argument, but it's clear here that Violet is just fed up and has had enough. I can't tell you how often this happens! And, yes, I know these are eternal truths that humans have spent milennia contemplating, and, yes, I know Violet's only 8 and a half months old, but that's just no excuse for being so stubborn. As usual, we agreed to disagree, which is good for her, since she relies on me to feed her.

Those are just some highlights from a typical Wednesday. Violet's napping now, but once she wakes up we have our astronomy colloqium planned and a review of easy Thai appetizers. Ciao!

1 Comments:

Blogger Howard said...

Nothing like having a child around to make you feel intellecutally and emotionally superior. Of course, the real story is that you are her slave and if losing games of chess or debates would make her happy, you would jump on it.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home