Monday, September 25, 2006

"KHAAt!"


It has been confirmed by both parents on three separate occasions over the course of two days: Violet Pauline has not only said the word "cat," but we are certain that she actually means it (this is an important distinction. When Violet was 8 months old, she clearly said "Kodaly Korond," which is a stop on the yellow line of the Budapest metro (the first underground metro in continental Europe, by the way)), but I know she had no idea about that).

She said "cat" when we pointed at her Big Sister (see below) and also when Amy picked up a cat this afternoon. Both were accompanied by pointing. Perhaps most mindblowingly, during tonight's reading of Goodnight Moon, I asked "Violet, where is the cat?" and she pointed directly at the two little kittens in the great green room (which is also filled with a little toy house, and a young mouse, and a comb and a brush and a..nevermind).

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised--we have read Goodnight Moon approximately 76 times. However, I also understand that language acquisition is some sort of "milestone" in human development.

Nonetheless, I am very proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home